Monday, February 11, 2013

#18: Saying Thank You with a Gift

"26 acts of kindness","26 acts", "random acts of kindness","#26acts" Earlier this week, we kept Buddy, my mom's dog, at our house while she was working.  She likes for him to be here and have company on days when she has something to do after work, so he won't be alone all day and all night.

Buddy is a super sweet dog.  Unfortunately he's also a very untrained dog.  Don't even think about taking him outside without a leash, because he will take off running and will not come when you ask.

So back to Monday night.  I was outside talking to a neighbor, and I instructed my kids to stay inside.  My son decided to ignore me, and the next thing I know, the kids and Buddy are running wild in the front yard.  Buddy took off across the street.  My husband chased after him with some food as bait, and I took the kids inside.  I didn't want to lose anyone else!  He was not having any success capturing Buddy, so I put the kids in the car and we went out to help him look. 

I drove out of the subdivision onto a VERY busy road, and there was Buddy sniffing the sign of the adjacent subdivision.  I pulled over to get out and get him, and he flew across the busy street.  I was so scared and envisioned him getting hit by a car.  My mom would never forgive me if something happened to Buddy while he was in my care.  He crossed that busy road about three times, and I looked like a crazy lady stopping traffic during rush hour to save him from an oncoming car.  Meanwhile my kids were waiting in my car, which was pulled over.  Not a good situation for any of us.

A neighbor across the street from that subdivision sign saw me running around chasing Buddy, and she started chasing him with me.  I started yelling "throw him some food!" because that was really the only way to catch him.  This elderly woman and her grown daughter helped me for about 15 minutes literally running in circles in their front yard.  By this time my husband had found us and ultimately the four of us were able to get Buddy.

I credit these kind strangers for saving Buddy's life.  We did not know each other before this incident, but I will always be grateful.  Of course we said thank you when Buddy was caught, but I wanted to do something more.  I went home, wrote a thank you note, included a $5 Starbucks gift card, and put the note in their mailbox the next day.  I hope they know how much we appreciate their kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment