Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Getting Started

"26 acts of kindness","26 acts", "random acts of kindness","#26acts" So many of us have been heartbroken about the Connecticut school tragedy.  We want to help.  We want to make a difference.  But what can one person do?  I don't know how to change the gun control laws.  I don't know how to improve school security or mental health treatment programs. 

This tragic event has impacted me more than any other because it could have been my child.  I have a kindergartener at a "safe" school, but this shooter could have walked into our neighborhood school in Marietta, Georgia.  I cry for all the parents who have lost their precious children, and I cry for the teachers who died protecting them.

Yesterday I was feeling gloomy because of the recent events.  I was driving home from Phipps Mall on GA-400.  I pulled out my money to pay the toll, and the toll booth worked said "Go on.  The car in front of you paid already."  It took me a couple seconds to understand that the car paid for ME.  I had been so wrapped up in the unfairness of the world that I was taken aback by a stranger's kindness.  I quickly remembered that most of us are good, kind, caring people.  But good people don't make headlines!  

I was so moved by the random act of kindness that I posted about it on my Facebook page.  I mentioned that I couldn't wait to pay it forward.  One of my friends responded that some people were doing 26 Acts of Kindness in honor of the 26 victims of the Connecticut shootings.  

So that is my newest challenge.  26 Acts of Kindness.  I have read that some people are attaching notes like "Kindness Act #2 of 26 in honor of Connecticut victims".  I am choosing to perform my act of kindness without providing an explanation (like the person who paid my toll), but I will explain if anyone asks me.  

The best result I can hope for is to inspire others to continue the trend.  Please comment in this blog and share your stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment